Brazilian Zouk Beginner Workshop
What IS zouk?
Brazilian zouk, a sensual dance originating from Brazil, has its roots in lambada – the “forbidden dance” from the late 1980’s. It has greatly evolved over time to include influences from ballet, hip hop, west coast swing and many other dance styles.
Body isolations, spins on various axes, movements in close embrace, and “hair whips” are all customary parts of this dance.
Mayisa Tani, a performer with Dance ConneXion since 2018, bachata & kizomba lover, and a zouk dancer of 9 years, is hosting a two hour beginner workshop to give you a crash course in this gorgeous dance.
She will be teaching:
1) Various basic steps of zouk – taught through a fun warm up
2) 1-3 turn patterns, building on those basics
3) Differences in frame, hold and movement between zouk and salsa/bachata
Note: Of the three main branches (lamba zouk, traditional zouk, and modern zouk), this workshop be focused on the traditional style of brazilian zouk!
Important to Know
– Date: Saturday June 22 at 2:00-4:00 pm
– Where: Dance ConneXion, 245 Sheppard Ave W
– What to Bring: comfy clothes, dancing shoes, water
– Price: $35 online and $40 at the door http://thedanceconnexion.com/events/toronto-zouk/
– Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in or register
– No partner required!
Can’t wait to see everyone there! :)